Monday 25 July 2011

Hen Night over - onto the wedding...

Actually it has been incredibly busy since my last blog.   I won't bore any readers with the hell that is dealing with the insurance claim other than to say that although the inspection was carried out and an assessment of damage sent to our insurance company, the assessment was in the form of a report and not an instruction to pay.  Once everything has been sorted out - that is to say, once we have the money from the insurance company AND the new carpet, I will be complaining.  And claiming for 'phone calls.  And sending them a diagram which distinguishes between the thing you sit on and the thing that helps your arm bend in the middle.

But enough of that.  After the flood we had more fun...the loft hatch fell off; thankfully at 6am so no humans or cats were under it.  And after that there was a car accident.  This is the new car - the one that we got to replace the one that was stolen earlier this year.  Hmmm - have I upset someone somewhere do you think?

On the plus side, I am as 'all set' as I am going to be with going back to college.  Got lots to do, but hopefully I can ask my former classmates for guidance as I work my way through assignments.


So... the hen night.  Well, it went really well.  I was 'in charge of arrangements' being maid of honour for the forthcoming wedding. I knew that the bride-to-be wanted something leaning toward civilised and sophisticated, but I knew we had to have fun!  I picked up the purple theme from the invitations I'd made and ordered some small gift bags.  Each 'chick' had a bag with her name on, filled with a variety of goodies - each with a saucy sounding slogan on.  Here are a few examples.








Everyone got to wear a tiara, a personalised sash (I had asked the girls to send me 5 words or less to describe themselves), a bracelet and a badge with the bride-to-be's picture on, and the date.  



The hen also had a bag with her name on, but it was a bit bigger, and had a few more goodies.  Needless to say, it couldn't be a hen night without willies - so we identified some famous ones!

The night started with drinks at a bar on the South Bank, we then took a 'flight' on the London Eye where we drank champagne, and then had a lovely Turkish meal.  A friend of my sister put us both up for the night so there was no need to run home.  It was a late night, my first full night away from the baby, and a very successful night.

The week after we had a visitor from Hungary staying with us.  Had a lovely time although I don't think she enjoyed the Chelmsford Beer Festival as much as she could have as hubby doesn't drink, and I couldn't have more than one on account of still breastfeeding.  We also managed to fit in a visit to Mountfitchet Castle, and take in Dylan Moran's tour.  Our friend got a (rather disorganised and noisy) place to stay, and we got some wine and Hungarian chocolate into the bargain!

Now the wedding is just over a week away and there is still plenty to do.  I have yet to make earrings for myself and the other bridesmaid, although I may be able to do that tonight.  I am halfway through decorating the guest book and postbox (for cards & gifts) and I have printed out all the names to put on the placecards.  The menu is sorted, and is sitting in photoshop waiting for me to finalise the layout, and the order of service is laid out ready to print off.
The only other thing to do is make the soaps as wedding favours. However, I am waiting on some essential oils... one I thought I had, I didn't.  I recall having terrible trouble with one particular supplier; they didn't tell me when I placed the order (back in October) that some things were out of stock...and then they were unreachable by phone or website, and when I got through they were not terribly helpful.  Eventually it transpired that one oil I had wanted they had returned to their supplier as they were not satisfied with the quality, and another oil got lost in the post.  I have just had word that the NEW supplier has everything I wanted AND has despatched it, so soaps are not far off.

We're off camping this weekend at the Barefoot Festival. I have been twice before, but it will be the first visit for hubby and for the little one.  Needless to say, this week I am mainly making lists of clothes to take, items for the tent, 'kitchen' items, baby items, food, things to do when we get back; that sort of thing.
More from me next week when we're back from camping, and hopefully when we're all sorted with wedding things.  If you're really lucky you may see a picture of me in my posh frock.  Now, to find the printout of the reading I am doing.....


0 comments:

Post a Comment